Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Winding Path Away from Mediocrity

I said something previously about getting the piddly stuff done and it feels like swatting at gnats - you only do it when it's in your face and you have to get it done. Am I just going to go through life with this attitude? Do I want to hold onto these ideas?
Then I read an article by Chieko Watanabe - she's a really interesting life coach type of person who lives in Seattle. You can check her out @ chiekowatanabe.com.
I subscribe to her [Success Habitude] emails. Her latest topic addressed the 'gnats' in my life. I really like what she had to say and I like that it came on the heels of me being so negative about that.  
This is what really got to me: "...your personal energy is one of your most valuable resources. Protecting this asset is critical to ongoing success as an entrepreneur." For me you can substitute 'entrepreneur' with 'mom' or 'writer' or 'person' (as you can see, I haven't yet worked out the bento box -- to help with these issues).
Further, she says that the way to PROTECT YOUR ENERGY (vital!) is to get rid of energy leaks. "The easiest place to start? Tolerations in your physical environment." What I call gnats she calls tolerations. 
Tolerations/gnats are the lightbulbs you don't change right away, the car that needs to be washed, and bills you need to address. She says these are zapping our energy and to 'fix' this stuff, start a "cleanse."
She offers an assignment:
1) List 50+ tolerations 
2) Spend 2 weeks zapping these gnats. 
3) Enjoy renewed energy
Step 1 - become aware; step 2 - become active; step 3 - enjoy. 
Questions: does tolerance zapping make it into the bento box? Why are these things so difficult? Am I mistaking tolerances for essentials? Is that why the bento seems so hard to pack? 
Scared to do the first step of the assignment above for fear that it will 1) zap my energy and 2) I won't be able to accomplish essential bento-type goals. This is foolish and yet, my brain is telling me that this is a valid way to think. 
If BENTO LIFE = CONVENIENCE LIFE, then I'd better take a look at what is going on and try to figue it out. Where is the truth, beauty, love, and art in all of this? Is this a path only to accomplish goals or is it a path to true (sic) happiness?
I have a bento box to pack and another list to make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment