Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Shopping Online for Bento Boxes ~

A random Google Search produced these 3 contenders (plus many others):
1) Thinkbaby BPA Free Bento Box
The Thinkbaby BPA Free Bento Box is cute, comes in blue and orange, and is BPA free. But it only has 1 compartment; 1 compartment is not enough. Maybe it's enough for a baby. $12.99 from Diapers.com.

2) Japanese style Hello Kitty 2-tiered Bento Lunch Box Chopstick Belt Bag
There are 2 compartments on each tier, is totally cute for a little girl, but a little too fru-fru to take seriously. Plus it's expensive. I'm not sure I like the whole idea of a tier. I'm just looking for a single floor unit. $41.99 from AtomicMall.com.

3) Laptop Lunches
This web site is delivering an entire lifestlye. You can subscribe to their RSS news feeds for weekly ideas on what to serve in the bento box. The people on the page look really happy. The kids are smiling. There are lots of flags from different countries. The bento box really is an idea stolen from Asian culture. The bag that the bento box comes in is as important as the box itself - stripes, daisy, etc. There are 4 compartments - 2 large and 2 small, and everything is on a single floor. $36.99 for the basic unit from www.laptoplunches.com.

Etymology (from wikiped)
"Bento" originates from the Southern Song slang term (pinyin: biŕndang), meaning "convenient" or "convenience." It's convenient to eat and to pack, but to prepare? I'm not so sure about that. Looks like a lot of work would need to go into it. But I'm digging one thing about this - CONVENIENCE.

Typical bento box: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bento_de_luxe.jpg
Restaurant style: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bento_at_Hanabishi,_Koyasan.jpg

I'm kind of liking these pix of bento boxes b/c it has lots of compartments - at least 6 or 8 different kinds of foods are here. In the spirit of "convenience" lifestyle, I'm going to make an attempt at the bento box.

Instead of what's my sandwich, I'll be asking, what's my purple stuff? I think it's a radish, but aside from that,I think it's better not to have a preconceived idea of what all these foods are so that I don't rank something out of an order of importance to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment