Tuesday, December 6, 2011

holiday affirmation


How is it that two seemingly incongruous things so often go together? Love and hate, peace and war, etc. This month it’s holidays and stress. Ho ho ho and bah-humbug!

A friend recently told me about AFFIRMATIONS.

An affirmation is a like a Jedi mind trick from your heart to your brain. It’s a way of letting the steam out of the mental pressure cooker that holidays and family visits can be.

If you start to feel overwhelmed (sales and presents!) or disappointed (the odd Christmas sweater from Aunt Eth, again!) or pressured (20 batches of gingerbread by tomorrow!), you can think of your affirmation for some self-soothing and guidance. Say to yourself, I'm generous; I have a thoughtful family; I'm a good cook.

My friend knows how to do these; she was able to list out the essential elements of affirmations, which I can’t recall from memory, but there are web sites that have more information. Click here for a web site that does a pretty good job of listing parts of an affirmation. I would say that at 9 things, it’s a little much, but I’m no expert.

Dr. Maoshing Ni, a doctor of Chinese medicine, says positive affirmations may be the key to stress-free health. He says that we should repeat positive thoughts in our minds as this affects our health and energy levels.

So here it is, positive affirmation guidelines for the holidays. I’m going to keep it simple.
1. Be positive
2. Be specific
3. Believe absolutely in what you affirm
4. Repeat

The thing is, cut yourself some slack. The more good stuff you feed your brain, the less room there is for the negative. And next month, with the start of a new year, you’ll definitely want to make new affirmations. Keep it fresh. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment